Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Popular Phrase I Could Do Without

I seem to be hearing it all the time now from friends - "Welcome to my world!" - in response to whatever I just shared about my life. Am I the only one, or does this phrase rub some of you in the wrong way? When someone says it to me, I wish I had not opened up my heart and shared what was going on in my life. To me it is the same thing as "So what?" or "Been there, done that."

It is not that I expect someone to say "Oh, poor Katie" when I have relayed a story about Katelynn's antics, a bad day, etc. I'm just sharing life with friends, not complaining or looking for major condolences. But, personally I think Miss Manners would say that a simple response like "I know how you feel" would convey a much nicer sentiment than "Welcome to my world."

I think it is the fad phrase of the moment, and I hope its moment passes quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment