Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Life's Lessons

Tonight I was determined to tackle a big ugly pile of papers in our office. It needs to be organized, sorted, filed, scanned, etcetera - all my specialities!  Then I came across a folder of my memorabilia that my mom saved and passed along to me.  Instead of tackling the task at hand, I found myself reading the poems and stories I wrote in my school days - all the way from elementary to high school.  What happened to that creative girl?!  That creative girl became a bean counter, a mommy who worries too much, an overly analytical woman who has a hard time going with the flow of life - always seeking control in a world where I don't really have it. Now don't get me wrong, I had plenty of self-induced stress in my younger days too.  But there was a creative part of me that seems to become buried more deeply with each passing year of adult life. 

Feeling guilty that I wasn't conquering that to-do list, I decided to read one more "free verse" that I wrote and then close up the file of creativity.  What a choice that final reading was...it begged to be blogged:

The days pass in a blur
And how easily we watch them fly
The work, the stress.
The pain.

And one more sunset gone!
But which will be the last sunset?
The last sunrise?

Which will be the last embrace,
The last smile,
The last time we love?

The miracle of life arrives
And departs freely
Many fools watch the miracle escape
Yet it always lingers
Waiting to be caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment