Sunday, July 13, 2008

THIS

Katelynn has discovered the power of the word "this." She figured out that it can apply to many objects/situations/etc. Therefore it is very useful when she doesn't know the word for something yet, or doesn't remember the word in her excitement.

For example, she has recently started bringing me Baby Einstein DVD's from the cabinet, excitedly proclaiming "THIS! THIS!" My interpretation is: "Mommy, I want to watch this specific DVD, right now. Put it in!"

I looked up the word "this" in the dictionary (well, the online dictionary) and it is in fact a word with many applications (see below). I just think it's funny that a 19 month old can figure that out!

Definition of "this":
–pronoun
1. (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as present, near, just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): This is my coat.
2. (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that): This is Liza and that is Amy.
3. (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., implying a contrast or contradistinction; opposed to that): I'd take that instead of this.
4. what is about to follow: Now hear this! Watch this!
–adjective
5. used to indicate a person, place, thing, or degree as present, near, just indicated or mentioned, or as well-known or characteristic): These people are my friends. This problem has worried me for a long time.
6.(used to indicate the nearer in time, place, or thought of two persons, things, etc.; opposed to that).
7. (used to imply mere contradistinction; opposed to that).
8. (used in place of an indefinite article for emphasis): I was walking down the street when I heard this explosion.
–adverb
9. (used with adjectives and adverbs of quantity or extent) to the extent or degree indicated: this far; this softly.
—Idiom
10. with this, following this; hereupon: With this, he threw down his glass and left the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment