Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ravaged

We spent several days in San Antonio over Independence Day.  Katelynn seemed to be struggling with a nasty cold, but playing in the cool swimming pools seemed to keep her in good spirits so we weren't too worried about it.  The day we made the five hour drive home, Gene and I made plans for our two upcoming "date days" we had scheduled.  We felt very smart that we had planned ahead of time for a vacation-from-the-vacation!  We had many things planned - movies, some good meals sans kiddos, exercise, and errands.

As the day progressed Katelynn seemed more and more listless.  We pulled into the garage around 5:30 and unloaded our obscene amount of bags.  I dug out the thermometer and was shocked when it read - 104 degrees!  I called my pediatrician and was lucky to get a 6:30 appointment due to a cancellation.  KK and I turned around and left the house again. 

What followed was an extremely scary "mommy moment" when I was told my little girl had viral pneumonia, and that we would have been calling the ambulance in the night if we had not come in.  I hid my tears from my little one and the mommy guilt set in -  how didn't I know she was so sick?!  We headed home with a mess of drugs and a nebulizer.

To make a looong story short(er), Gene and I woke up with similar crud the next day.  We tried to evacuate the baby to Nanna's house and he got it the next day.  Among the four of us, there have been six doctor trips so far with at least one more to go!  Dates were cancelled, the house became a disaster, the to-do list grew. 

In the middle of all this I found myself, foggy-headed, organizing one of my drawers.  I then asked myself:  "Self, what in the heck are you doing?!  This is madness"  Then it dawned on me - I was grasping for control... control over anything!  I thought I had my little world under my control and this was a big reality check!  Through this experience, God has taught me to appreciate every day of good health with which we are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. so glad to hear that you are all on the mend. God sometimes grabs our attention in the most unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete