Friday, January 23, 2009

Scary Grasshoppers

A few days ago, I needed to put laundry away in my bedroom. Katelynn, as usual, was following me around looking to be entertained. It has been a long time since I have tried to show her any of the Disney Pixar movies. She just isn't super interested in TV, but with her continued development I thought it was time for another try. I went and got the movie "A Bug's Life" and put it in the DVD player in my bedroom.

She was transfixed - success! I got busy with my chores while she watched the ants prepare their annual offering of food. I was in the closet hanging clothes when I heard her start crying. At first I thought that she must have bumped her head, but then I realized it was not her typical cry.

I came out of the closet and the poor thing was crying because Hopper and his clan of bullies had made their first appearance of the movie - I did not expect that and felt terrible! (Nanna has since reminded me that her expression of empathy is also an important and positive milestone.) I explained to her that they were grasshoppers and that they were a little mean and scary. Ever since, she has been talking about the "scary grasshoppers". Usually when she wants to watch TV now she exclaims "Snoopy - NOT scary grasshoppers!"

2 comments:

  1. Caedyn has already become quite the TV junkie – but only wants to watch “Melmo” (Elmo).
    We’ve been increasing our collection of “kids movies” lately – and I’m really surprised by the language! Since when did “idiot” and other such words become okay for G ratings?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Anna first cried during the Winnie the Pooh because Pooh was being chased by the bees.
    By the way, I agree with KK. Grasshoppers are scary. When I was about her age I broke my finger in our front door when I went running to my mom to tell her I had a scary grasshopper in my bicycle basket and she accidently shut my finger in the door hinge!

    ReplyDelete