Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Lie

Katelynn got in trouble today for her first big lie.

Lately I have caught her in a couple of tiny fibs. I have tried to use those opportunities to talk about the importance of telling the truth, explained ad nauseum that it is wrong to lie, etc. She escaped punishment because I figured we needed to lay some groundwork first.

Today she was allowed to choose a pack of gum at Wal Mart for good behavior during our shopping trip. I let her hold the package in the car but emphasized the importance of only putting one piece in her mouth. (I am a paranoid mom when it comesto choking.) I asked her halfway home if she had eaten more than one and she looked me right in the eye and said no.

We pulled into the garage and I was gathering up our things to take them inside. I asked her to put the pack of gum in a bag I was holding and she balked, covering it up in her hands. That's when I knew.... not only did she take two pieces of gum, but she knew it was wrong and was trying to hide the evidence from me.

A long session of timeout later (and after revoking all gum privileges), I had a big discussion with my almost-4-year-old about the truth versus lies. Here's hoping it sunk in... parenting is hard! (And I know, I know, it only keeps getting harder!)

No comments:

Post a Comment