Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Half Crazy

Well, I can't believe it is true, but I have committed myself to attempting the Fort Worth Cowtown half marathon on 2/27/11. I guess that silly husband of mine inspired me. Plus I needed a goal to work toward, or I knew I would never find the time to exercise with this crazy new life as mom-to-two.

I have to say that it feels very good to hit it hard, and I am enjoying this new sport. I have been running 3x per week, around 3 miles each time, to lay a good base before the training schedule officially begins in December. My leg muscle tone is looking pretty awesome, and hopefully the weeks of training to come will help to blast off the little bit of baby belly that is still lingering. I can already feel my heart and body getting stronger, and it's showing through improved times. Starting out, a 12 minute mile wore me out. Now an 11 minute mile is downright comfortable most of the time. Fingers crossed that my thirty-something body will hold up! Since my brother, sister-in-law and hubby have all completed one or more half-marathons, I figure I had better bring up the rear in accomplishing this goal.
To further coerce myself into doing this, I have also organized a group of friends and we have named our team "Half Crazy." Mainly, we are just encouraging each other through email and some of us are pairing off for long runs. It will be fun to have some girls to huddle up with on the big day.
Running is also a great way to maintain my sense of self... hitting the pavement with some great power music booming seems to be the only way I can forget about all the duties of mommyhood for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment