Monday, June 29, 2009

Proud Daughter

On Thursday June 25th, my dad showed up to work at Lockheed-Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems for the last time. After 34 years! Gene and I attended his retirement ceremony, along with my mom, brother and about 100 co-workers. These days, 34 years of dedication to one company is a rare thing. And it was neat to see it celebrated in such a special way.

Parents have lots of opportunities to beam about their kids. I know from experience now that it doesn't take much to get me excited about Katelynn's latest feats! But I think it is more rare to experience that same feeling and emotion from the point of view of being the child in the relationship.

That rare experience definitely happened to me on Thursday. My dad has so many admirable qualitites, and they were showcased in a funny but touching presentation prepared by his boss and co-workers. Many do not know that he was educated at MIT and graduated at the top of his class, because he is quite humble. He is a super smart engineer, yet is also skilled at navigating through the thorniest people problems. Gene and I have sought him for career advice numerous times over the years. He is respected and admired, and it was evident that people were sad to see him go, yet excited for him, for the happiness that his golden years will bring to him.
Selfishly, I am happy that he is retiring now while KK is a toddler, so that she has the privilege of spending lots of time with her fabulous Nanna and Pop-Pop, and will get to experience the love of her grandfather the same way that I have experienced the love of such a great daddy all these years.

Dad, congratulations on a career to be proud of, and the start of what had better be many, many years of retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment