Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Plastic Cup for an Anniversary Gift?!

A few weeks ago, Gene and I saw an interesting cup at a Starbucks- a very sturdy double-insulated clear 20-oz cup, with a screw on lid and thick plastic straw. It is designed to look exactly like their disposable cups used for cold summer drinks, but sturdier and with a typical Starbucks price tag of $15. We thought it was cool and useful but didn't buy it that night... $15 for a plastic cup?? It's marketed as a "Cold Cup To Go"

Yesterday was our 11th anniversary. We usually do something special together rather than gifts. However I was heading out to meet Gene for lunch and thought it would be fun to surprise him with a Starbucks Cold Cup to Go full of his favorite tea. I brought the tea in a thermos and went to the Starbucks drive through. I nonchalantly ordered, only to be informed that "we can't keep those on the shelves" and "they are nearly impossible to find." I stopped by another Starbucks on the way to find the same scenario. Now I was lamenting the fact that we didn't snatch them up that first night we saw them!
I chattered on to Katelynn about my disappointment, which she then announced to Gene promptly upon arriving at his office: "Daddy, Mommy couldn't find your cup!" I explained the story to Gene. Then a quick search of ebay revealed that these puppies sell for anywhere from $25 to $50 online! Gene then launched a full search. He called several Starbucks and found one that had just received a shipment of the cups, and he picked up two on the way home.

We have been enjoying them, and it's funny that a $15 plastic cup now seems like a bargain! Happy 11th Anniversary to us....

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy!! A very cool cup though! I may have to invest...if I can find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool cups! Starbucks is a luxury in our house too. When we lived in Texas sometimes Joe would stop and get me a tall white chocolate mocha! Yum! What a wonderful treat! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete