Friday, October 16, 2009

My U2 Concert Experience




there is a red arrow pointing to our spot but it didn't come out too well!

I am not much of a concert-goer... can't even tell you the last time I went to a big stadium concert. New Kids on the Block when I was thirteen years old, maybe?!
Four years ago Gene went to see his beloved U2 in concert during their Vertigo tour. He and his buddy Ray got in line at 6 am and sat there all day, then stood inside the stadium manning their spot for several more hours. There were conscious attempts not to consume food or beverage in order to avoid a trip to the bathroom. It all seemed a bit much to me. I like U2, but not as much as Gene. But he came home ecstatic that they had made it on the front row, and I have to admit I was a bit jealous... he was on cloud nine for days.

So I decided to go to U2 this year with the hubby. We were able to stumble upon some great special tickets only available via auction. They are still on the floor and relatively close to the stage, but without the waiting-all-day long. Also kinda' cool that the profits go to Bono's charity work in Africa. That being said - we did still get to the stadium around 4 pm. At 5 pm, we were allowed inside, and I didn't realize that Gene expected me to run all the way. (He's the one training for a half-marathon...not me!) We did secure a spot "on the rail" and right next to the outer cat-walk part of the stage used by the Band throughout the show. Oh..... that's why we had to run! Then, we waited.... and waited.... and waited. U2 came on at 9 pm, after four hours of standing in one spot. My back was aching before Bono sang a note!
I was feeling far too old for my own good, till I realized that the average age of the U2 fan is right about mid-thirties - that's me! (Side note: My friend's teenage babysitter asked her 'Who's U2' - whaaat?!) The concert was, admittedly, amazing - the energy defies description. Do they ever know how to give their fans their money's worth. Around 10:30 I started to realize I was not feeling so great anymore after all that standing and denial of food and beverage. They were scheduled to play till about 11. At 10:45, the thought entered my head that I might throw up, and reason kicked in! I abandoned my spot on the rail and sat down for the last 15 minutes of the concert.
These four fifty-something rock stars boggle the mind... they have toured together for over 30 years now and are obviously still the best of friends. Clearly they aren't doing it for the money anymore but for love of music and providing amazing entertainment for their millions of devoted fans. The stamina that their shows require is unbelievable - no standing around in one spot for these guys. I don't know how Bono can even sing as much as he runs around on-stage.
If U2 can do it, I can too.... next time they come through Dallas I'm "in" for the experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment