Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nail Biter

Somewhere in the past few months, my kiddo turned into a nail biter (of both the finger and toe variety) unbeknownst to me. I discovered it one day recently when she asked me to paint her nails, which she does periodically. The first step to our toddler manicure/pedicure is to trim all her nails with the clippers. Suddenly there was not a single nail to trim! Not even her baby toe nail...how does she get that in her mouth?!

She may have picked up these habits from observing her daddy, unfortunately...well at least the nail biting part. I find it funny that such a little girl can already have a habit like this. It seems pointless to make a big deal about it at this stage of life, although I certainly don't praise her for it. I have told her "no more pretty nail polish" until I can see that her nails have grown. But 3 year olds don't have too much long term focus, so I'm sure I'll be living with two nail biters for awhile now.

1 comment:

  1. Emily is a nail biter and has been for about a year now. At one point it was so bad her fingers were just painful, looked awful, and we were afraid she'd get one infected. I have tried a couple of "no bite" polishes, and they work to curb the habit to where they don't get chewed down to a pulp. The trick is remembering to get it on very regularly. I think we'll be working on it for a while! Let me know if you find a good solution, I'd love to have more ideas!

    ReplyDelete