Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Swim Lesson

Today was Katelynn's first official swim lesson.

Yesterday Gene and I took her to the community pool to help her re-acclimate to the swimming pool before embarking upon lessons today. We were very glad that we did. She was quite apprehensive at first, but within an hour was splashing around like a maniac and having a grand old time.

I found, through a friend, a lady that teaches lessons at peoples' pools. People actually allow strangers to come to their home and take group lessons from this lady. This surprised me, what with our litigious society, but I was just glad to find a good solution. There are only 3 other children in the class which is much better than the community programs in our area which may have as many as 8 kiddos.

So I made the drive to an adjoining suburb and all in all it took nearly 30 minutes to get there due to lights, lack of highways, etc. I was questioning my decision to enroll in 8 lessons and thinking that perhaps I should cancel next week's lessons.

Then we got there and little KK blossomed. She couldn't wait for the lesson to start and she marched over to the teacher and asked if it was time to get into the pool yet. She did every single thing that Mrs. Davis asked her to do. She was the youngest in the class and the only kid that didn't cry at some point. She asked me when she gets to go back for another lesson and was thrilled to learn it is tomorrow. It made my heart swell to watch her so interested in something. She was very serious about it all, but very proud of herself and eager to learn more.

It's funny... I find that my "difficult child" struggles with many of the basics like getting dropped at preschool, choosing a TV show, getting hurt feelings, throwing fits about things that should be no big deal, etc. Yet I take her to a strange house, send her into a pool with 3 other kids and a teacher she has never met, and she thrives.

So I guess I can handle that 30 minute drive for a couple of weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment