Monday, September 13, 2010

Doula Plug

My friend Maria is a doula and she served as my doula during Tyler's birth. Now, a lot of people have never even heard the term doula so here's a basic definition I found on the web that sums it up pretty concisely: a woman who is trained to provide support to women and their families during pregnancy, childbirth, and the period of time following the birth

This post is simply a shameless plug for Maria's services (
Great Expectations Doula Services), especially if you are interested in going natural during childbirth. I ended up going natural with the birth of my first even though I tried to get an epidural. I have mild scoliosis that creates a small "s curve" at the base of my spine- which I had no idea would have any impact on my ability to receive an epidural... well Dr. Anaesthesiologist poked my back for over an hour during heavy contractions only to inform me at the end that "it didn't work." Later my hubby (who somehow watched the entire thing without ending up on the floor) informed me that I had been stuck in the back at least a dozen times in an attempt to get it in. I have since done a lot of reading on the internet to find many other women with scoliosis who had the same experience.

So I survived natural childbirth - imagine that! - and I wasn't too keen on having my back experimented on again. So for baby #2 I fully planned for natural childbirth, and having Maria's support was fabulous. I joked with her and my hubby that she does all the things you wish your husband knew to do during labor. However your poor husband has never in his life witnessed someone he loves in so much pain and truly doesn't know what to do. Maria is trained, experienced, calm, and extremely helpful... and she has a God-given talent and passion for her job. She was a great support and coach, and was able to provide lower back massage during contractions as well as suggest laboring positions, interact with the nurse, and provide lots of reassurance throughout that everything was proceeding normally.


Thanks Maria!

No comments:

Post a Comment