Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Seeing the World Through Katelynn's Eyes

By: Guest Author Nanna

KK has brought a new enjoyment of life to Nanna and Pop-Pop. We love watching her grow and learn. She makes us laugh, sometimes she makes Nanna cry, but that's another story. Today I want to tell you about seeing the world through Katelynn's eyes.

Katelynn gathered up tissues from the box on the shelf and spread them out in a circle. She smoothed them until she liked the arrangement, and she told Nanna and Pop-Pop and Mommy and Daddy to sit down. She went to the kitchen drawer and got out five serving spoons. I'm talking about the spoons I use to serve mashed potatoes, the biggest spoons I own. We were all instructed to sit down and eat our (invisible) spaghetti. She joined us, and we all ate our invisible spaghetti. When we finished, someone asked for cake. KK went to her room and brought back five square blocks and set one in front of each of us.

I grew weary of trying to get the block onto the humongous spoon, so I picked it up. A little hand reached over and gently pushed my hand down and a little voice said, "Nanna, use your spoon." I tried the clumsy spoon and block thing again and again, and then reverted to picking it up with my fingers. Each time I was gently told, "Nanna, use your spoon." No yelling, no hitting, just gentle reminders.

Getting tired of the game, I picked up my magazine to read. Now mind you, everyone was still pretending to eat cake in our little circle, so what would it hurt if I read for a minute. Another gentle reminder, "Nanna, it's not time for books, it's time to eat." So, I put my magazine down and pretended to eat cake. A little while later, I tried to get away with it again, and I was gently reminded, "Nanna, it's not time for books, it's time to eat."

This entire game gave me great insight into Katelynn's world. We give children utensils they can't handle well, and food of odd shapes and then tell them not to use their fingers. We take them from an activity they are absorbed in and tell them it's time for something else.

I was also impressed with KK's manner. She didn't raise her voice. She gently reminded me again and again and again that I needed to use my spoon or put my book down. Once in a while she also moved my hand for me, if I didn't do it quickly enough. It told me a lot about how her mom is treating her, and I approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment