Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Breathing Treatments

A couple of weeks ago I took KK to the doc for a persistent cough that wouldn't go away. Her Nanna noticed that she sounded like she was wheezing too. The doctor informed me that she probably had a viral infection in her lungs... hopefully not asthma. The remedy for this nasty condition is a little machine called a nebulizer that makes a very big noise. It delivers a drug called abuterol into her lungs in a vapor form, via a lovely plastic mask.

Her first treatment was in the office and it was pure misery. I had to restrain Katelynn on my lap while she screamed and cried and fought to get the mask off her face. I just wanted to cry when Doc told me she needed the treatment 3x per day!

KK has done much better at home though. It is not her favorite thing but she has accepted it as part of life. She likes to be in control and do it all on her own. I don't even have to sit next to her anymore. We turn Caillou up to level 10 on the TV and she has to keep the mask on until one Caillou story is over (about 7 minutes). She gets a lollipop afterward which has been a pretty big incentive.

Her cough and wheezing are all gone, and tomorrow we return for a follow-up. I will be perfectly happy to give the nebulizer back to the Doctor's office!

1 comment:

  1. I have been dreading the day when Hayden needs a breathing treatment! I've known of little ones who have had to use the breathing treatment machine. I hope she's all better soon!

    ReplyDelete