Sunday, May 24, 2009

Temporary

The other night, Katelynn woke up crying in the middle of the night. She wanted to be rocked back to sleep. I was so exhausted. I really just wanted to be horizontal in my own bed. But mommy duty called.

I wrapped her up in her soft blankie and sat down in the rocking chair. She immediately closed her eyes and began to return to dreamland. Despite my exhaustion, something led me to just take in the moment. I stroked her angelic sleeping face and admired her silky skin and cute little features. I was a little overwhelmed with sadness that this is all temporary... she will be running out the door on her own with friends much too soon. She will no longer want to be cuddled and stroked and soothed in the middle of the night.

That is inevitable... there is nothing I can do. But what I can do is continue to savor those special moments...

1 comment:

  1. Aww! So sweet! I love those bittersweet mommy moments too!!!

    ReplyDelete