Friday, December 18, 2009

By Jove I Think I've Got It!

A few days ago, I lamented KK's sleeping woes as she struggled with the transition to sleeping without pacifiers. While she has been slowly improving, she is still clearly anxious about being left in her bed alone and it hurts a mommy's heart!

Two days ago I tried something new for nap. I let her lay down on my bed and watch a DVD. This made her so happy - no anxiety at all - and she was out within minutes. Now,
Dr. Ferber would still say I am using a "sleep aid" but I will take it for nap!

I still was not sure what to do about bedtime other than let her cry, because we are not going to be watching TV every night to fall asleep. Every night lately, the routine is for her to cry in her room, then come out onto the upstairs landing with a blanket, then talk to herself till she falls asleep. We live with this routine since she doesn't ever try to come downstairs; we move her to her bed every night once she is fast asleep. Last night the usual anxiety antics began when it was clear I was about to leave. So instead of letting her cry, I asked if she wanted to lay down on the landing. Her face absolutely lit up with happiness. I put down a little pallet for her, complete with pillow, blankets, books, and stuffed animals. She happily waved good-bye to me. YESSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment