Monday, July 5, 2010

My Marathon Man

A little over a year ago, my husband Gene announced "I think I am going to start running." And boy, did he ever. Gene is never one to embrace anything half-heartedly. He got all the gadgets, read all the materials, and entered into a little love affair with his new sport. He has run 3 half-marathons in the past year, improving his time significantly with each race. He is relentless in his discipline with training. So I knew the quest for the full marathon was probably coming soon....

So Gene decided to run his first marathon this October, in Chicago. I probably won't get to be with him to support him but will have a good excuse of a newborn at home! In order to make this run more meaningful than just a personal goal, Gene has also joined the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society
"Team in Training" and has committed to raise $3,000 for research to fight blood cancer. Astonishingly enough, we know 4 people who have fought or are fighting blood cancer. Gene is honoring 3 of these friends in his race. If you would like to follow Gene's own running blog or help support his fundraising, you can visit this link:
http://tinyurl.com/genells . I am proud of my Eugene!

PS. Visit www.bethematch.org to become registered as a possible marrow donor - it's free, easy, and you could save a life!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to make a donation to support Gene! I too ran with LLS when I started running and it was such an important group, full of support and dedication to a cause. For anyone wondering how they can help, registering to be a donor is very important. I am proud to say that my sister, Lindsay, is a bone marrow donor!! I was honored to spend the day with her last year being her "assistant" while she was donating bone marrow. And then after the procedure - I got the transplant doc to show me her bone marrow since I thought it was so neat that he actually did bring it out in a little styrofoam cooler :)

    ReplyDelete