Sunday, July 4, 2010

Papas and Public Potties

It is a rare occasion that Gene takes KK to the potty when we are out. And I will admit, it usually makes sense for mommy to do it. I certainly don't want her in the men's restroom at the mall, or for that matter, any men's room with multiple stalls and strange men in it. Sometimes though, we are at a nice clean restaurant with a one-hole potty and it really doesn't make a difference who does it. And mommy wants a break.
Friday night was one such instance, especially since I was crammed into a corner seat and the big baby belly made it very challenging to get in and out. When KK announced she needed to potty I looked at Gene and made my own announcement that he could take her. As he got up to do it, he was visibly uncomfortable and noted that "it stresses him out". He was referring to the fact that it is difficult to keep her from touching things that are not sanitary. Hello...it stresses out your neat freak wife the other 291 times she has done it! Plus, dirty germy changing tables were no picnic either and there were at least 437 fun experiences with those!

Posting this little incident on Facebook resulted in a firestorm of funny comments from other mommies including reminders that he is about to get a baby boy and get to share the joy more often. My favorite response came from my friend Sarah though: "Here is a puzzle for Gene. Four people have to go to the potty. Me. My two year old son. My six year old daughter. An unrelated nine year old boy who is with us. I am the adult in charge. We are at the movie theater. Discuss -- suggestions welcome -- but that defines 'stressed out' :) "


While searching for a funny picture to support this post, I came across this
funny 4 minute video from the dad's perspective on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment