Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Shack

I just finished reading The Shack at the recommendation of my mom. What a beautiful book - it really defies description or review, though many out there have tried.

Since you probably will want some sort of description, I'll give it a try. It is about a man named Mack who meets with God in a very special and creative way 4 years after the death of his little daughter. The author has an amazing concept of all this. It is a fictional story, but I did not find much of anything that would be objectionable in light of what the Bible tells me about redemption, grace, forgiveness, relationships with God, and the Trinity.

Too often I am a "head" Christ follower. I like to learn about theology, follow the rules of the Bible, and check off my little mental lists of what it means to be a good Christian. This book blew all that away - and truly touched my heart in the process!

1 comment:

  1. I am honestly surprised that you read "The Shack". I heard the premise about his little girl being murdered and knew I couldn't read it. I'm too susceptible to imagining Charissa in awful situations. It's good to read your take on it though. I've read other reviews that blasted it for being theologically incorrect and not taking into account the emotional/spiritual effect on the reader.

    ReplyDelete