Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey SUCCESS!

This year the Thanksgiving family events were in my home. I delegated many dishes to my family members, but retained responsibility for the bird and a few other things. In the past, I have been a coward and avoided the big bird, sticking to breasts. This year I decided to take advantage of my free turkey from Kroger and give it a whirl.

First I endured the preparation process of removing that disgusting neck from the turkey cavity. Gene told me that I needed to reach all the way in to feel for the giblets and I just about lost my lunch. We then discovered that the giblets were hidden in the butt. These things should come with instructions on the package!

I found a highly reviewed recipe on
All Recipes and covered my turkey in a yummy herb mixture, listed below. I covered it up, left it in the oven, and didn't mess with it again until 3 hours later. And - it was perfectly done! The bird was so tender that it was falling apart when I lifted it onto a cutting board. I felt pretty proud of myself! And this herb baste will be my "go-to" recipe anytime I prepare turkey in the future.

I did leave the gravy making to my mom. Maybe next year I will pay more attention to how she did it so I can learn to do that as well!

Easy Herb Roasted Turkey
1 (12 pound) whole turkey
3/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups water



Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Clean turkey (discard giblets and organs), and place in a roasting pan with a lid. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, ground sage, salt, and black pepper. Using a basting brush, apply the mixture to the outside of the uncooked turkey. Pour water into the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover. Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees F. Remove bird from oven, and allow to stand for about 30 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment