Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Magic Phone

Gene is the technology guru and lover in our household. He calls himself the "VP of Technology" and prides himself on lovingly and thoroughly (oh so thoroughly) taking care of my technology needs.

I must say that I will be forever grateful to him for introducing me to the wonders of the iPhone. I am not sure I would have discovered it on my own; I'm just not willing to put in all the research in selecting these types of products. The Apple store kind of puts me in a funk. But the iPhone itself certainly does not. In fact I would have to say I would rather have my iPhone than the equivalent amount of new clothing. Wow, did I really just admit that?!

I am sure ten years from now I will read this post and laugh at the ridiculous size and elementary technology of this beautiful phone. But for posterity's sake I thought I would list some of the cool things my phone currently does (in no particular order).

  • Fast internet surfing
  • GPS/ Google Maps
  • Stopwatch, clock, etc.
  • Camera complete with a pretty decent video camera (now I can at least get some simple videos of KK's antics)
  • The Holy Bible with 15+ English translations. Also available in Dutch, Spanish, Finnish, Bulgarian, Czech, Chinese, Japanese and even Arabic!
  • To-do list
  • Voice memos
  • Detailed weather forecasts
  • Compass
  • Email for all my accounts
  • Contacts listing
  • Calendar
  • Calculator
  • Shazam (can tell the name of any song once the phone can "listen" to it for about 10 seconds)
  • Secure storage of passwords, identification numbers, etc.
  • Flashlight
  • List of every pub, restaurant, grocery store, hospital, you name it, within close radius of current location
  • Dog whistle
  • Unit converter
  • Recipe finder
  • Ambient sound machine
  • Movie showtimes and information
  • Facebook application
  • Voice recognition for a multitude of things
  • Access to endless music library
  • Stock history and quotes
  • Encyclopedia

Oh, and it makes phone calls too.

No comments:

Post a Comment