Monday, August 31, 2009

Mmmmm.... Cake Balls!

Previously on this blog, I mentioned visiting the Cake Ball Company for a delectable Father's Day gift. I failed to mention that before this outing, I also tasted some terrific cake balls that my friend Ashley made at a church baby shower. However I assumed they were something I would not want to attempt; I definitely have insecurities when it comes to anything with the word "cake" in the title. (Cake decorating class is on my bucket list, but not too high on the priority list at this time in my life!)

After prompting by Gene, further discussion with Ashley, and a visit to the
glorious website "Bakerella", I decided it was worth a shot. I made a homemade lemon pound cake and mixed with homemade lemon cream cheese frosting. I used white and milk chocolate bark for the outer coating.

So what are the verdicts?

  • Cake ball creation is very time consuming and downright exhausting by the end of the process. (Next time I am going to make them in two stages so I can enjoy the decorating more. I apparently don't have the patience that the Bakerella lady does.)
  • They don't come out as perfect as the Cake Ball Company or Bakerella.
  • BUT they are still pretty, and I have ideas for future improvements.

  • They taste incredible! Just as incredible as $1.85 each at the Cake Ball Company.

Both times I have doubled my cake recipe, which has yielded over 75 cake balls - that would be $138.75 plus tax at the Cake Ball Company! So they are definitely worth the effort.

I think I'll go have a cake ball now...

No comments:

Post a Comment