Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Moment of Terror

Today I took Katelynn to McDonalds. As usual, I was having a difficult time getting her to stay in my immediate vicinity while ordering the food. However, I had her in my peripheral vision. Five seconds later, I did not. I began the panicked "parent scan" around the restaurant and did not see her anywhere, all while trying to finish up my order and pay. I then ran to the play area... still no Katelynn. I ran back into the restaurant and could tell that the other patrons saw the look of terror on my face. I passed a table of gentlemen and asked if they had seen a little girl. "A little girl just went into the restroom."

I ran into the ladies restroom and there she was, walking out of the stall with her panties and shorts down around her legs, saying "Mommy, I had to go to the potty!" While trying to catch my breath, I explained to her that she was not to leave without mommy ever again. I told her over and over "You scared mommy!" She kept saying "But mommy, I had to use the potty!" How does one explain these things to a 2 and 1/2 year old? Any suggestions that have worked are appreciated!

All in all it was a two minute incident, and one that I know all parents experience at some point. No matter how many of these stories you have read or heard, nothing can prepare you for the scariness of that moment.

Sweet KK naps safely upstairs now... all is well... until another terrifying parental milestone rears its ugly head!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! Caedyn runs from me constantly in stores. I am not looking forward to the day - but I know it'll come . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary! I'm having the same types of problems with Hayden right now. He does not have any understanding of danger and continually runs off from me everywhere. No matter how much I try to explain things to him, he doesn't get it. Good luck and if you get any great times, be sure to share them with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - that is so scary. The exact same thing happened to us - except Ethan at 4 1/2 disappeared at Disney World. I never even thought of the bathroom but about 30 seconds after I got the look of panic the staff was already searching and one of the men found him in the men's room. Same thing. He thought he was doing the right thing. Have to go - find bathroom - use bathroom. Except not at Disney world and not with Mom and Dad. I actually took him outside of the restaurant and pretty much screamed and cried - he's never done it again. Even though I know I overreacted, I think that is what had the impression on him that mommy was so scared and upset.

    ReplyDelete