Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Homemade Play Dough

I have to bring pink play dough for all the kids in KK's pre-school class. Buying that much of it at the store would cost a small fortune, so the school suggests that we make it at home. I thought that Katelynn and I should give it a dry run first, especially since she asks to "do baking" all the time lately anyway. I went to the internet and discovered there are approximately 38,000 recipes for play dough. I began to notice a trend too - they all require either powdered alum or cream of tartar. (Side note: In response to powdered alum I said "huh"? My mom informed me it can be found in the pharmacy/ medical area of the store... although Wal-Mart didn't have it there. I noticed it is for sale in Amazon's grocery store.)

I had neither on hand, so I improvised. The play dough turned out great... for a day. She had a great time. But the next day I took it out for her, and 10 minutes later she was completely covered in it because it was so darn sticky.

I have now purchased cream of tartar. That one is on the spice aisle. Once I perfect my play dough recipe I will post it.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE homemade play-do. (And – maybe I am a true “baker” – I have cream of tarter! :-) )
    One of the main reasons I love the homemade stuff (other than the price) is that I don’t worry too much if it gets eaten. Sure – the store stuff says “nontoxic”, but still . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny - I just got a recipe for homemade playdoh from my sister! You can add any color or glitter, fragrance for different holidays, etc. I can't wait to try it! You have to use cream of tartar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade playdoh! In fact, that's all that we ever played with when I was little! I didn't even really know that they sold it until I was older! :) Let me know if you are unable to perfect that recipe, and I'll give you mine. It's a good no-fail recipe, super easy and always turns out great!

    ReplyDelete