Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A World Without Peanut Butter

My last blog post was about the Peanuts gang, which I just realized is ironic. This week, Katelynn had her two-year well check with her pediatrician. I was a chicken and did not want to give her peanut butter at home. So I brought a peanut butter cracker to the office and gave it to her at the end of the appointment.

Within five minutes she was broken out in hives, and crying and clawing at her throat and tongue. It wasn't severe; Benadryl did the trick. (I've seen some horrific pictures on the internet, and her reaction was nothing like those.) And thank goodness I had an experienced doctor there to help watch her. But I was pretty depressed that day, worried about what this means and feeling a little helpless about my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Now we have to decide whether to get full blown allergy skin testing done... not to mention years ahead of me of informing teachers and caretakers about this problem.... then leaving it in God's hands that they will all follow through! I'm not too thrilled to have something so scary that is not in my control. I like being in control! At least there is so much more awareness these days.

Worst of all, poor girl may never get to enjoy a PB&J sandwich in her lifetime. That's just not right!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, poor KK! :( Gavin doesn't have any allergies so far, thank goodness! That's pretty rough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    Roque told me about this, I'm so sorry to hear that your little girl is allergic to peanuts. I was crying in the exam room when Greyson's test results were confirmed as well. I completely understand how you feel, and I'm so jealous of all the other moms who never have to worry about this. God will take care of our little ones, it is unfortunately yet another lesson in surrender. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh another thing, we do AM&J sandwiches (almond butter and jelly) for Greyson. They'll never know what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I feel horrible b/c I just gave hannah pb long ago without a thought. What kind of mother am I? :-) I am sorry about KK's reaction. I am glad you are such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about her allergy. We know several kids with that allergy. Did you suspect the allergy before and just confirmed it at the appointment or were you just being extra cautious?
    From what I've seen, you'll be pleasantly surprised about how aware people (and schools) are now about this allergy.

    ReplyDelete