Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gene's Man Crush

Gene has a "man crush" on Dat Nguyen. Who?? He played for the Aggie football team back in the glory days of the late 90's. Then he also had a six year career with the Dallas Cowboys. He has also written a great book called Dat: Tackling Life and the NFL that we both really enjoyed reading that chronicles his very unlikely journey into the world of college and professional football.

Well, Gene got to meet Dat today at a luncheon. He immediately sent me an email and I could tell he was excited about it. Then he took the time to create a long post on an Aggie board online. I enjoyed it so I thought I would post it here as well; it summarizes a lot of what it means to be an Aggie to Gene and me.

I asked Gene if he told Dat that he had his picture up in his office (a framed pencil sketch I gave to him as a gift), and Gene said no.

Gene's Post:
I generally don't care about meeting celebrities, sports figures, etc. Even when I have an opportunity, it doesn't strike my fancy to do so. Often times I appreciate the celebs ability to act in movies, perform on the field, etc, but their character and integrity leave a lot to be desired.

Well today was a different story. At a luncheon, I met Dat Nguyen. Dat brings me back to a time when we were good at football and we won our Big 12 championship. It's been 10 years, and my memories are fading, but I do remember countless times when he came up with the big play. He was always clutch and made the play -- he was money.

However, more important than his on field performance is his life story. If you guys get a chance to read his book, it's amazing. Everything that he has been through makes most of our lives pale in comparison. His character, faith, living the Aggie spirit, and representing Texas A&M well is what makes him special to me. A&M was founded on guys that don't have a silver spoon in their mouth and fight and claw for everything they have. Work ethic, diligence, and just going out there and getting it done. That's why I'm proud to be an Aggie and to have followed the footsteps of people before me.

Many Aggies, despite not being dealt the best hand, have done great things for our country, our neighbors, and our fellow Aggies. Dat Nguyen started with nothing and has represented us well. Hopefully you and I can do the same.

Gig 'em Ags...

No comments:

Post a Comment