Saturday, June 21, 2008

Municipal Pools "These Days"

Summer has now become a time to explore the municipal pools of the DFW area. When I was growing up, we were privileged to have our own "recreation area" associated with my dad's employer. It had an enormous olympic sized pool complete with a 10-meter platform (that no one was allowed to use). It was pretty exciting at the time, but it pales in comparison to all the facilities that the cities around DFW have put into place now. They are like miniature waterslide parks. (Side note: Now that I am a parent, I find myself pointing out all the things kids have access to "these days" that didn't exist when I was growing up... I am sure this will annoy my child to no end at some point in the future!)



Yesterday I found the perfect park for Katelynn's age range, in Lewisville, TX. It had 3 "spraygrounds" similar to the one pictured above. KK loved those and I didn't have to watch her in fear every single second since she couldn't go underwater. She loved to sit on the fountains and lift up the top of her suit to make the water go in it. Pretty funny. They also had a 2 feet deep kids play area with a small slide. I was forced (by KK of course) to climb up that thing about 6 times and take her down the slide. I was the only mom going down it and she was the only kid that little going down it. I think my child may be a daredevil. There was also a big slide that she kept pointing to, but she isn't quite 48" tall yet... and a 4 foot deep area with a lazy river where we played together. And this is Lewisville's "small" municipal water facility! We had so much fun together. She was on cloud 9 the whole time, and my kid is not easy to keep in that state.




I have also been made aware by my friend Sarah that there are enormous inflatable waterslides that adoring grandparents purchase for their grandkids and put in the backyard. Here is a pic she sent me... it isn't an ad - it's her actual kids!

Somehow that looks a little more fun than the sprinkler! Kids "these days" are pretty lucky...

6 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, I'd better not let Pop-pop see the blog today. I really don't want one of those things in my back yard.
    You and Griff were water lovers at an early age. I think it's genetic. I'm glad Katelynn is a water baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geezz.. If you get one of these is dad going to get stuck blowing it up?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's go to the Lewisville place sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you changed the photo. That first photo you had of this slide thingy looked about fifty feet tall, or else the kids on it were only about eighteen inches tall.
    And Scott, the daddy who gets stuck blowing it up has to be younger than fifty. Wouldn't want Pop-pop to have a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of concerned about anyone trying to blow this one up...I'll let you in on the secret...It comes with a continious air blower and goes up and down in 5 minutes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to crash one of your play dates! I think Caedyn would have a blast at that water park!

    ReplyDelete